Frequently Asked Questions

Does service start automatically, even if my home is unoccupied?

Due to county health codes, residential trash services is initiated with the sale of a home. In order to suspend service, property owners must obtain a service exemption from Washoe County and notify WM that the property is vacant. For more information, please call 775-329-8822.

What time should I place my waste cart and recycling at the curb?

All carts and crates must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled day of service.

What are the hours of collection?

Service hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

My garbage and/or recycling service was missed. Whom do I call?

Customers should call customer service at (775) 329-8822.

What if I want a different sized or additional cart?

If you decide you need a different cart size combination please contact customer service at (775)329-8822

My cart/bin is damaged/missing. Whom do I call?

Customers should call customer service at (775) 329-8822.

What if I have trash that won’t fit in my cart?

Waste that does not fit inside your cart with the lid closed may be placed in a 32-gallon bag, or a 3’x3’x3′ box/bundle (not to exceed 40 pounds) and left at the curb with an excess waste sticker for collection.

When will I receive my excess waste stickers?

20 excess waste stickers are mailed to customers in January.

How much do extra stickers and extra carts cost?

The price for extra sticker is $2.39 each or customers can purchase the 20-sticker package for $42.80.

Pricing for additional carts varies depending on the current cart size; it ranges between $5.75 and $9.37 per month. Call 775-329-8822 for specific pricing information based on the current service level or to purchase more stickers.

What size cart options are available for Reno customers? What are the costs?

Below is a list of four options available to Reno customers:

  • 96-gallon waste cart and 96-gallon recycling cart – $18.15 per month
  • 64-gallon waste cart and 96-gallon recycling cart – $16.40 per month
  • 35-gallon waste cart and 96-gallon recycling cart – $15.28 per month
  • 35-gallon waste cart and 64-gallon recycling cart – $14.82 per month*

* Senior citizen (70 years and older) rate – $13.23. Verification will be required in order to receive the senior citizen rate.

What if I decide I want a different size trash or recycling cart than the one I currently have?

Customers can call customer service at 775-329-8822 to check rates and change service levels.

Do I have to use a Waste Management single-stream recycling and trash cart? Can I use my own carts?

The franchise agreement with the City of Reno requires all customers to use Waste Management’s trash and recycling carts. Customers cannot use their own carts. Waste Management carts are designed for pick up by our automated collection trucks. The automated truck mechanism is not able to service other customer owned containers.

What do I do with my yard waste?

You can place your yard waste in your trash cart. If you have excess yard waste, you can place a 32-gallon bag at the curb with one of your 20 stickers.

Reno residential customers are also entitled to 4 trips to the transfer station per year included with their service. Each trip is good for the disposal of one standard pick-up truck load (3 cubic yards) of material. This option can be used on any normal business day that is convenient for you at the transfer stations in Stead and Reno. Please bring a from of ID or bill to confirm your active account.

You may also add an additional trash or recycling cart(s) to your service for a fee by calling customer service at 775-329-8822.

Is there help for customers with a physical disability?

Residential carts may be collected by drivers from side yards for an additional fee, or no fee for qualifying disabled individuals. A doctor’s note may be required. Call customer service at (775) 329-8822 for details.

Is there a discount for senior citizens?

Yes. Seniors (70 years or older) under the Reno Franchise Agreement may select the 35-gallon trash cart and 64-gallon recycling cart at a lower rate than the standard service level. Current service levels and prices are listed on the Residential Services Page. Request requires proof of age. Please call 775-329-8822 or visit our office at 100 Vassar Street in Reno to apply.

Do I have access to the Transfer Stations?

City of Reno residential Waste Management customers who are current with their bill may dispose of one standard pick-up truckload (3 square yards)of trash four times per year at no cost. Customers may utilize this service any day and time during normal business hours at the Stead Transfer Station or at the Commercial Row Transfer Station.

What should I do with bulky items or appliances that I want to dispose of?

Waste Management accepts one bulky item, such as a mattress or sofa, per household, at no cost for Washoe County residents, Monday through Saturday at the Lockwood Landfill. The landfill is located off Exit 23 on I-80 Eastbound at 2700 East Mustang Road. DO NOT take Exit 22 for the town of Lockwood.

Metal appliances such as stoves, washers, dryers and refrigerators free of coolant may also be recycled for free at Lockwood Regional Landfill or Commercial Row Transfer Station.

What can I recycle?

Single-stream recycling allows for the collection and processing of a wider variety of recyclable material, including:

  • Empty Plastics bottles
  • Empty Plastic containers
  • Cardboard
  • Paperboard
  • Paper
  • Junk Mail
  • Newspaper
  • Magazines
  • Empty Glass bottles (without caps)
  • Empty Glass jars (without caps)
  • Empty Aluminum cans
  • Empty Steel cans

Do I need to rinse out my recyclables prior to placing them in my recycling cart?

Food and liquids spoil the recyclability of paper and cardboard. No liquids or loose food can be placed in the recycling cart. How ever you do not need to wash your recyclables before placing them in your cart. If necessary, use a spatula or paper towel to remove food from containers. Remember to put the food-soiled paper towel in the trash.

What does not go in my single-stream cart?

The following items are not recyclable in the City of Reno:

  • Food
  • Household Hazardous Waste
    • CFL light bulbs
    • Motor oil
    • Antifreeze bottles
    • Paint
  • Plastic bags
  • Needles
  • Cords and wires
  • Clothing
  • Diapers
  • Broken cups and dishes
  • Food Soiled Paper
  • Plastic serving utensils
  • Plastic cups and dishes
  • Soiled Paper towels
  • Electronics and batteries
  • Snack bags and wrappers
  • Polystyrene foam
  • Garden hoses

What will happen if I use my recycling cart as a trash cart?

Contamination from just one resident can contaminate an entire load of recyclables. Therefore, if a customer places trash in their recycling cart, that customer will be billed for an additional trash pickup. This charge will be added to the next bill.

How often is my single-stream recycling collected at the curb?

Recycling is collected every other week.

How do I know which week to place my recycling at the curb?

If you do not know when to place your recycling at the curb, please click here to download a recycling calendar or contact customer service at 775-329-8822.

Can I opt out of the single-stream recycling program?

All customers are billed for recycling, even if they choose not to participate in the program. However, participation is not mandatory. If you would like the recycling cart removed, please call customer service at 775-329-8822. Removal may take a week from the date of the request.

Why doesn’t Waste Management pay me for my recyclables?

Nevada does not have a redemption program like California and other states. The value of the commodities that are sold are used to help fund the recycling program.

Note: It is against Federal Law for non-California residents to take recyclables to California for monetary benefit.

Does Waste Management make money off my recyclables?

No. A portion of the operating cost of the recycling program is offset through the sale of recyclable material.

What was wrong with the old source-separated recycling program?

While source-separated recycling in crates used to be an effective method of collection, single-stream recycling has proven far more effective at increasing the recycling rate. In addition, many customers believed the old source-separated recycling program was not convenient. Customers want a simpler, more convenient recycling program that takes advantage of current technology, and allows the community to reduce the overall impact on the environment. The implementation of single-stream recycling increased residential recycling participation 300% in the Reno area.

How long have Reno residents been recycling?

In 1991, Reno City Council adopted mandatory recycling for residents as a result of a state recycling mandate.

How long have Reno residents been billed for recycling?

Reno residents have been billed for recycling services since 1991, even if they don’t participate in the program.